Friday, March 11, 2011

A Letter to Wentworth

Captain Charles Raine would pace mysteriously in his office that was apart of his quarters in Mercy's Keep. They had put him up in the most luxurious of suites; at least he thought so. It was more than generous to provide a newcomer with such accomodations. Finally, the restless Naval officer would stop pacing in front of his desk, where he would eye an old stack of blank papers and a quill. A sigh, and he would seat himself.

He would take a match and light a nearby oil lit lamp, illuminating the desk's surface in front of him for a better view. Taking a piece of paper and placing it neatly in front of him, he would reach for the quill and dip it's pointed tip into an ink well, dousing it in the black liquid. With a few strokes of his hand, he would begin composition.


Dear Frederick -
   My heart is still filled with the grief at your absence, but knowing that you are at peace with God gives me the strength to continue. 

Much have I been busying myself as of late with our war for the Empire. You should see my corpse collection. It's nothing to rival that of our youths, but it is still impressive to say the very least. I think it would please you at the extent of which I have been preserving them. 

My corpse collection has grown thanks to the Knighthood and perhaps more importantly, Eran Mintor. I never would have thought I would call the Minmatar anything besides a wife stealing scoundrel, but his fleets have proven of much worth to fly in. He is a fearless commander and leader, setting an example for all who strive to serve. 

I pity him, however, as I pitied myself over the loss of Crown Shalee Lianne. I originally thought him to be nothing more than a Minmatar scoundrel, a wife stealing back stabber. He has proven me quite wrong. Eran is one of the most dedicated pilots and leaders that I've ever had the pleasure to serve under. His direction is as clear as the night sky and his knowledge is vast like an ocean. Eran has led the Knighthood, and the militia, to many a glorious victory.

I've also come upon the pleasure of making new friends in the Knighthood. Karmilla Strife, a fellow pilot, has been much comfort and the most delightful of company to me. As well as another woman. A slave to Esna Pitoojee. Her name is Rin. Both have been more than kind to me during my stay so far with the Knighthood. 

I find it peculiar, the relationship that Esna and Rin share. It is by no means your typical master-slave relationship. No, there is something more there. There is a mutual respect. Esna actually cares for the well being and values his slaves. Their bond is more of a friendship than anything, it seems like from what I've observed. 

Rin has suggested that I speak with Esna privately as to what to do with all the slaves we've acquired throughout our adventures. Yes, I've still kept every single one. And I will find a way for them to live a life free from bondage. You probably roll over in your grave laughing at my naive notions, but it is what God has called me to do. 

As for now, brother, I must rest. I grow eary in the wee hours of the morning. I shall write to you again soon.

Charles would sign the letter formally before folding it up neatly into a perfect square. He would pause for a moment, looking down at the letter. Suddenly, the sound of wood scraping against wood would be heard as his chair scooted back in its place and the Amarrian pilot rose to his feet, deep sigh escaping his drying lips. Picking up the piece of paper, he would hold it over the candle light, watching it light on fire. With his other hand, he would move to open a nearby window, watching as the ashes went scattering outside of the keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment