Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Return to the Knighthood

My mind had been a flurry of thoughts surrounding the return of mine to the Knights of the Merciful Crown. Aldrith.. and Shalee.. were kind enough to see me returned to my status amongst them, and for that I am grateful. They have made my transition out of the Navy easier. Still though, there were many questions lingering in the air. What of the estates I had to leave behind at the time of my reinlistment? Hopefully they have been cared for, as I would have cared for them in my absense.

I'd hoped certain friends were well. And of course, Shalee. I pondered her status. Had she proceeded with the divorce and married Mr. Mintor? What would be her reaction upon my return? Would she even have me?

Frederick was right, however. It didn't matter. There is no time for folly and such foolish things as love and marriage. Service to the Navy was much more important, service to the Empire was all that mattered. Whatever the circumstances may be upon my arrival, I must return. I knew I must serve her and the rest of the Knights in order to serve the Empire. I knew it was time to stop being selfish and move on, continue with my life as my father would have.

I had been met with a fellow that frequents the Keep named Vlad upon my first arrival. He was kind enough to welcome me back. I had some wine and we spoke of a fleet he had been building. Odd character, but nice enough.

The keep remained silent for several hours. I passed my time by unloading my belongings and making myself comfortable in the apartments that are available to all of the Squires and Knights of the Merciful Crown.

Shalee came in soon afterwards. She was shocked to see me, as I would have expected. She was very understanding of my situation.. of why I had left. How painful it had been for me to stay. Before I had time to express my feelings towards her, that they were in fact no more and that I could serve to the fullest of my ability without my emotions for her clouding my judgement.. she took the words right out of my mouth. She had called things off with Mr. Mintor and decided that she could be with no one, the Empire was her ultimate service. How about that. How relieving. We are now on the same page.

Still, when I gaze upon her.. I still feel a twinge. Something I don't like.

Captain C. Raine

No comments:

Post a Comment